The Scholarship Review Committee congratulates the 2019 winners for their efforts and performance in the Scholarship Competition and considers these winners among the finest young women of scientific aptitude that New Jersey can offer.
AWISNJ 2019 High School Senior STEM Scholars:
Plainsboro-West Windsor High School
Northern Burlington County Regional High School
Hunterdon Central High School
AWISNJ 2019 High School Junior STEM Scholars:
High Technology High School
South Brunswick High School
Association For Women In Science New Jersey High School STEM awards and scholarships are offered annually. Female high school seniors and juniors, residing anywhere in the state and interested in STEM can apply. Applicants are asked to write an essay on a STEM professional with a NJ connection (female). Academic performance and teacher recommendations are also evaluated.
2020 Annual AWIS-NJ STEM Scholarships & Awards for New Jersey High School Senior and Junior Girls.
The challenge is open female high school seniors and juniors who reside in New Jersey.
- Seniors: Who are entering college, university or any educational institute in 2020 studying STEM subjects (anywhere in US). Three awards and certificates, amounts specified at the bottom of the page.
- Juniors: Who demonstrate interest & intent to pursue STEM for higher education by school courses, extracurricular activities etc. Three awards, recognition certificates and plaques, no cash rewards.
- Deadline June 15th, 2020 (11pm).
- Winners will be announced by June 30th, 2020.
- Awarding event will be scheduled in July 2020.
Your submission should include:
- Recommendation Letter. From the adult who has interacted with you professionally. Please ask your advocate to email the recommendation to email@example.com with subject line: Your Name Scholarship 2020 Recommendation.
- Your Application. Fill the online application which requires:
- Your contact information—Name, address, email, phone
- Your School & Grade
- Name and contact information for your Recommender & Guidance Counselor
- Academic Information, i.e., GPA and class rank (if available), SAT or ACT score
- List of extracurricular activities, with brief descriptions.
- List of any additional awards, distinctions, relevant AP courses or community projects.
- Essay/Scientist Profile Guidance:
We welcome original, succinct essays up to 500 words: Many accomplished scientists are based in, or have had a connection with New Jersey during their careers. The AWIS NJ Annual Scholarship Competition is an opportunity to reach out and conduct a brief interview with a New Jersey connected female scientist in any content area that interests you. Your profile subject may live or work in NJ now, or may have done so at any time in their lives. Think about teachers who have inspired you; women who discover and develop drugs; architects and engineers who design and create buildings, bridges, renewable energy, environmental solutions; computational researchers who write software, social networking applications– inspiration is all around us. This is an opportunity to learn more about someone you already know, or to meet a scientist who interests you. Include your subject’s New Jersey connection, their current experience and its significance to their field of endeavor, and your personal takeaway. Perhaps this person has helped you understand ways that today’s scientists work together, or perhaps this person’s experience has helped you focus your interests. While you may use the Internet to help find your subject and useful background material, you MUST conduct a personal interview & your essay must include at least one quote from your subject.
3 awards for High School Juniors
3 awards for High School Seniors (Applicants who have already received awards as juniors are not eligible to re-apply)
Best of Luck! You could be the next winner. We look forward to reading your essay and supporting your career.
Meet our past scholarship recipients
2018 AWISNJ STEM Scholars
2017 STEM Scholarship Winners awarded scholarships, certificates and state resolutions at a meet & Greet event at Bristol-Myers Squibb
2016 AWIS NJ STEM Scholarship Winners Honored at New Jersey Legislative Assembly.
2015 Annual AWIS-NJ STEM Scholarship
The Scholarship Review Committee congratulates the winners for their efforts and performance in the Scholarship Competition considering these winners among the finest young women of scientific aptitude that New Jersey can offer.
- 1st place: Shweta Modi, Edison High School, Edison, NJ
- 2nd place: Katherine Chew, Bergen County Academies, Hackensack, NJ &
- Francesca Gualano, High Point Regional High School, Sussex
2014 Scholarship Winners
2013 Scholarship Winners:
- 1st Place: Michelle Guo, Bergen County Academies , Hackensack, NJ
- 2nd Place: Rachel Xu, The Lawrenceville School, Lawrenceville, NJ &
- Neha Syal, Marine Academy of Technology & Environmental Science, Manahawkin, NJ
- 1st Place: Gabrielle Goodrow, The Marine Academy of Science and Technology, Highlands, NJ
- 2nd Place: Amanda Autore, High Point Regional High School, Wantage, NJ &
- Payal Marathe, West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North, Plainsboro, NJ