May 28th, 2019
For Immediate Release
The following teams are the winners of the 2019 MedHealth challenge. The projects were judged on concept innovation, supporting data and the prototype development.
- Julia DeMeritt, Ramsey High School, Ramsey, NJ
- Project Title: Commun X – Emergent Medical Communications
- Synopsis: The communication of emergency medical information between healthcare workers (nurse practitioners, physicians, or physician assistants) is currently unorganized and slow, limiting the delivery of optimal medical care and potentially jeopardizing patient safety. The team is creating an Emergent Medical Communication System to overcome this shortcoming.
- Watch Prototype Video Here
Rebecca Xu, Middlesex County Academy for Allied Health and Biomedical Sciences
- Project Title: Cast-On Comfort
- The temperature of the environment where a fractured bone is healing can play a large factor in its healing process. Regulating the temperature around the cast can stabilize healing conditions and promote a faster and safer recovery. Cast-On is a temperature regulated waterproof cast sleeve that can do just that.
Aparna Kumar, High Technology High School
- Project Title: NeckTech
- Synopsis: An innovative smart collar or choker that can detect improper posture and warn users so that they can adjust accordingly.
- Watch NeckTech Prototype Video Here
This is a competition for female students to submit their projects and innovations in the Medical/Healthcare field. The project requires a female lead, allowing additional males or female teammates. The female leads can be from:
- Middle schools,
- High schools,
- Colleges and
- Universities in New Jersey.
- Winners from past rounds are not eligible to re-participate
AWIS is a leading national advocate for women in STEM with a mission to advance gender equity by inspiring bold leadership and research to drive organizational systemic changes. Established in 1995, the New Jersey chapter, AWIS-NJ empowers and promotes women scientists through programs that facilitate career development, education, networking, leadership and entrepreneurial opportunities.